As you know, Windows has an awesome built-in tool to create self-extracting archives. Its name is ‘Iexpress.exe.’ The funny thing is that Microsoft loves to hide these useful tools from the public. Only a few people have heard of this tool. With this tool, you can do a lot of things. Here is our guide to How to Create A Self-Extracting ZIP File in Windows 10 without any software. let’s know:
Similarly, many tools are capable of creating self-extracting Zip (archives). For example,
- PeaZip, and many others
In this article, we will learn, “how to create a self-extracting zip file in windows 10” step by step.
How to Create Self Extracting ZIP File in Windows 10:
01. Click (right click on mouse) the Windows Start button > select Run > Type iexpress > Click OK
02. After clicking, the “IExpress” tool will open
03. Check the box either Create new Self Extraction Directive file OR Open existing Self Extraction Directive file and then click Next
04. Choose your Package Purpose then click Next
05. Write your Package Title then click Next
06. Confirmation Prompt- if you want to confirm that the user wants to install your Package. Select Prompt User With and type the prompt. Otherwise, select No Prompt. Then click Next
07. License Agreement- if you want to display a License Agreement before allowing installation. Select Display a License and choose the License file. Otherwise, select Do Not Display a License. Then click Next
- Packaged Files- Create a list of files that you want in your compressed Package. Then click Next
- Show Window- Select how your installation program’s window will be displayed. Then click Next
- Finished Message- if you want to display a message to the user after installation is complete. Select Display Message and type the Message. Otherwise, select No Message. Then click Next
- Package Name and Options- Enter the target path and filename for your Package. This is the file that will get downloaded and executed by the user. Then click Next
- Save Self Extraction Directive- if you would like to save this information for later use. Select Save Self Extraction Directive (SED) file. Otherwise, select Don’t save. Then click Next.
Note: If you choose to save this information, you can modify it later and recreate your Package without re-entering all the previous information.
- Create Package – You are now ready to create your Package. Click Next to start.
- Your Package has been created. Click Finish when you are ready to quit.
TEST your tool and make sure that it works as expected. Self extracting zip file is easy to extract for all. but sometimes self extracting zip archive isn’t possible to add in the email attachment. Gmail attachment supported file shown here.