How to Password Protect an Excel File [2010, 2013, 2016, 2018]
You can protect your Microsoft office Excel sheet by password if you want to secure your file from being edited. If you encrypt your Microsoft Excel Sheet by a password, no one can open file or modification of the workbook, a worksheet, or individual elements in the worksheet. Let’s Know How to Password Protect an Excel File include office version 2007,2013,2010,2016, 2018, 2019, and office 365.
If you don’t know about this then this tutorial will help you with different levels of protection in Excel, and we will show you how to encrypt, lock workbooks or worksheet with the password so that you can secure your data against unauthorized access.
We have divided this article into 2 parts. One part is for Microsoft Office Excel (2010-2018) and another is only for MS Office 2007.
How to Password Protect an Excel File (2013, 2010, 2016, 2018, 2019, 365)
In this part, the following rules will only applicable for the version of Microsoft office from 2010 to 2018. You can use up to 4 types of securities in Microsoft Office 2010 to the above versions.
- Protect your entire Excel Sheet protection
- Set password to modify an Excel file
- Enable password to protect Workbook Structure
- Protect worksheet protection
How to password protect the entire Excel Sheet from editing:
- First of all, open your Excel Sheet. Then go to File > Info, select Protect Workbook, and then click Encrypt with Password.
- Then a Password box will appear, type a password, and then click OK.
- In the Reenter password box, type the password again, and then click OK.
In this way, you can protect your entire Excel sheet.
How to Set the password to modify an Excel file:
This way isn’t like the previous way. In this way, you can share your file with content reviewers who you trust. This is a great way to allow people to VIEW the document but restrict them from making any changes.
- Firstly, open your workbook. Then click File > Save As
- Now select a location or browse a location to save.
- In Save As dialog, click Tools, select General Options
- In General Options dialog, enter the password to modify.
- Now you have to enter the passwords again in order to confirm them.
In this way, your file will be in Read-only mode. But, if someone tries to make changes to this file, then it won’t prevent. But it will prevent from saving those changes unless they rename the file and save it as something other than the original.
Note: You should create a backup copy of your file without a password. you can forget the password in the event. It won’t be good if you need to open a password protected Excel sheet, and you have no password!
How to Password Protect Excel Workbook Structure:
If you wish that no one can see your secret formula then You can protect the structure of your Excel worksheet with a password, so that it will prevent other users from seeing your formula, viewing hidden worksheets, adding, moving, deleting, or hiding worksheets, and renaming worksheets.
Let’s see how to do it:
- Open your sheet then Click on Review > Protect Workbook.
- Then fill the box with Password.
- Now re-enter the password to confirm it, and then click OK.
If you do this, you will notice that the options to change the workbook structure, such as Insert, Delete, Rename, Move, Copy, Hide, and Unhide sheets are all unavailable.
How to Enable password to protect an Excel worksheet:
If you want to lock the cells on your Excel worksheet by a password to prevent unwanted changes from others then you can do these steps.
- Open your document then click on Review then Protect Worksheet.
- Then enter a password.
- Then select the elements you want people to be able to change.
- Now, Re-enter the password in the Confirm Password dialog box and click OK.
In this way, you can protect by password your Microsoft Office Excel from 2010 to 2018.
How to Password Protect Microsoft Office Excel 2007:
In spite of being a slight difference in the user interface, It’s similar to add password in Excel 2007 like Excel 2010 -2016.
- First of all, open your file that you want to add a password.
- Then click on the Office button.
- Now hit the Prepare button and choose Encrypt with Password from the options.
- Then type your desired password in the text field of the Encrypt Document dialog box.
- Retype the password in the Confirm Password dialog box.
- Click OK to set password, then Save the Excel sheet.
In this way, you can add password in your spreadsheet.