If you are having a private document like the financial sheet, diary entry, or important office presentation that you don’t want anyone else to edit or see, then Microsoft office offering you to protect your word document, excel sheet, PowerPoint presentation by adding a strong password. If you do that no one can access your private document without your password. That can protect your files from nosy family, crazy friends, or from an enemy. In this article, we will show you how to Password Protect a Microsoft Word Document in Microsoft office 2010, 2013, 2016, or office 365.
If You are Using office word:
- Microsoft Office Word 2016
- Microsoft Office Excel 2016
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2016
- Microsoft Office Excel 2013
- Microsoft Office Word 2013
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2013
- Microsoft Office Excel Starter 2010
- Microsoft Office Word Starter 2010
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2010
- Microsoft Office Excel 2010
- Office 2010
- Office 365
Then follow the given rules to add the password.
How to Password Protect a Microsoft Word Document 2016, 2013, 2010:
- Open your Microsoft Office file that you want to protect.
- Then click the file tab and press info
- Now hit the protect document
- Press encrypt with password.
- Now enter a password and click OK.
- Again confirm your password and click OK
Now your Microsoft Office document is protected by a password. This will prevent anyone else from opening your document.
TIP:: If you forget your password then no one can help to open that document even Microsoft also can’t help you.
Now if you want to remove the password from that document then follow the given rules.
How to Remove the Doc Password:
- Open your protected office document
- Click File then press Info
- Now click protect document then Encrypt with password
- Now place the box blank and hit the OK button
- Now continuously press the Ctrl+S button to save your document.
Now your password will be gone. Anyone will be able to open or edit your file.
But if you use a common password that can be guessed or common then it can be hacked. So, you have to use a good and hard password that can’t be understood.
For your convenience, we are giving you some Extra-Ordinary rules that can help you to choose the best password for your document.
How to Choose a Strong Password In-office Documents:
- Always try to use a password that consists of at least eight characters. As much longer as much better. If you can tolerate typing in a sixteen character password, then without thinking go for it. Longer passwords are much harder to guess.
- Attackers will use automated computer programs designed to guess dictionary words in an attempt to discover your password. So, don’t use any dictionary words in your password.
- You can use a mixture of uppercase and lowercase letters, digits, and symbols in your password. If you combine multiple character classes in your password then it will be harder to guess.
- If you think you’re being clever by taking a dictionary word and replacing the letter “Z” with the digit “2” or replacing the letter “O” with the number “0”, you’re not. Attackers know these simple tricks and will use them in their guessing.
- Someone who knows you and is trying to hack into your database will immediately try guessing the names of your significant other and pet. So, don’t use a password that is related to you, your family, or your company.
I hope that simple tricks will help you to choose a password for your document. You should secure your PC so that you need to install any antivirus or Internet Security Software.